Certain 2020-2023 Ford Escape and 2021-2023 Ford Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with 1.5L engines could experience a fuel leak. This fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source, could become a fire.
According to the defect report, a fuel injector crack could allow fuel and/or fuel vapor to migrate and accumulate near ignition sources in the engine compartment. Initially, drivers may notice a fuel leak or fuel odor both outside and inside the vehicle. If the fuel leak becomes a fire, the driver may notice smoke or flames coming from the engine compartment or from under the body.
The repair requires updated engine control software that will detect a pressure drop in the fuel rail. If a drop is detected, a warning message will be displayed in the instrument cluster telling the driver to seek service,
A drain tube will also be installed to allow fuel to drain from the cylinder head drain hole, away from any hot surfaces which could create a fire, to the ground below the vehicle.
Ford's number for this recall is 22S73. NOTE: This recall includes all vehicles previously recalled under 22V-191.
The 2021 Ford Bronco Sport has 8 recalls against it. These include:
1) The above fuel injector leak that could become a fire,
2) An engine oil leak that could become a fire,
3) Reduced brake performance,
4) Inadequate bonding on the moon roof glass panel,
5) Fuel delivery module leak that could lead to a stall,
6) Missing or loose rear suspension bolts,
7) Incorrect front lower control arms installed and
8) Inadequate lubrication in the rear drive unit.